Quinoa muffins are a quick, convenient and tasty snack or breakfast item that you can enjoy on the go. They are a nice combination of sweet and savory. The muffins have great texture thanks to the addition of quinoa and the quinoa along with the nuts and zucchini deliver in both flavor and health benefits. The main ingredients serve as textural elements but these muffins also maintain a light fluffy texture on the interior which makes them even more delectable. As a plus, the muffins are perfectly sweet. The brown sugar, honey, and vanilla give them a deep sweet flavor while the zucchini, nuts and pinch of salt keep that sweetness subtle.
Makes 18 mini muffins
- 8 egg whites, save yolks for another recipe
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Paper liners
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Rinse and drain the quinoa to remove the bitter-tasting saponin from the exterior (no one wants a bitter muffin).
- Line a muffin tin with liners and lightly spray each liner with cooking spray to prevent sticking. This makes the muffins easier to eat.
- Add the rinsed quinoa to a bowl with the egg whites, zucchini, pecans, vanilla, baking soda, honey, brown sugar, and salt.
- Mix until everything is well combined. Make sure there are no chunks of egg white anywhere in the mix.
- Spoon batter into each paper liner.
- Place into the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes or until brown and cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and allow to partially cool in the muffin tin.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and leave to fully cool.
If you want to read more about nutrition value, visit our additional resources: quinoa nutrition.