Quinoa is all the rave these days. Everyone wants to use it to make salads. This is a simple and easy to prepare quinoa and goat cheese salad.
- 1 cup of quinoa.
- 2 cups water. Nb. The ration of 1 part of quinoa: 2 parts of water must always be maintained.
- 2 pieces of fresh springs thyme. Preferably, use the leaves and not the woody part.
- 1/2 Sliced and chopped pepper (red bell).
- 1/4 Sliced and chopped red onion.
- 1/2 tsp. Minced garlic. You can exclude garlic if you want a more light and subtle flavored salad.
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms.
- 2-3 tablespoon of Olive oil.
- 2 tablespoon of fresh goat cheese.
- Mint for garnishing.
- Add all the quinoa and water on to a salad pan. Bring this mixture to boil.
- As soon as the mixture is boiling, reduce the flame to the minimum simmering level possible.
- Stir every 2 to 3 minutes until all the water has been absorbed.
Kindly note that the cooking should take approximately 10 to 15 minutes including boiling the grains and water mixture.
An alternative method is to add the grains and water in a steaming pan. Bring the mixture to a boil. Seal the steaming pan tightly with a lid and switch off the flame completely. Let the mixture steam for approximately 15 mins. until well cooked.
- Fluff the quinoa with a fork or a fluffing spoon.
- Add the oil to a frying pan and make sure you remain some to be used later.
- Add all the vegetables and cook until the red peppers get tender while the onions are translucent.
- Switch of the fire and add the fresh thyme.
- In a dish, wrap the sauteed veggies into the well cooked and fluffed quinoa. Pour the remaining olive oil on top of this wrapping.
- Sprinkle on top of the wrapping crushed goat cheese. It should melt easily over the warm wrapping.
- Garnish this with some Julienne mint or a mint sprig.
Serve it hot. This salad is for two serves.