Apple Pie Quinoa with Cinnamon
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and in mind, it’s always best to start your day on a healthy and high note. This is why the Apple Pie Quinoa with Cinnamon is a good choice, and in addition to providing high energy, and good nutrition, you’ll also appreciate the mouthwatering taste.
Ingredients Apple Pie Quinoa
- 1/2 cup raw and fresh quinoa
- 1 cup of cold water
- 1/2 tbsp margarine or unsalted butter (divided)
- 1 medium-sized apple, cored and chopped
- 2 teaspoons light brown organic sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 cup almond milk (unsweetened)
- Your favorite type of nuts (chopped) – optional
1. Pour the cold water into a small cooking pot or pan and add the fresh quinoa. Place it over a low to medium heat without covering the pan or pot. Keep stirring occasionally for several minutes until all water has evaporated and none is left inside the pot. Remove the pot from the fire and place it aside
2. Take a small or medium-sized frying pan or skillet and place it over a low to medium heat. Add the unsalted butter or margarine and wait for it to melt. Thereafter, add the chopped apple and sauté until has cooked down and is fairly clear (resembles caramel).
3. After it has caramelized add the cinnamon and sprinkle the sugar. Keep stirring to avoid the mix from sticking to the pot. Add the milk and continue to stir then finish off by adding the quinoa.
4. Continue to stir over the low heat until the mixture is well-blended. After a few minutes remove from fire and serve it while still warm.
If you want a crunchy appeal, you can add any of your favorite nuts (walnuts, groundnuts, hazelnuts, or any other).
Instead of organic sugar, you may use natural honey or maple syrup. You can also substitute the almond milk with 1 /4 cup of skimmed fat-free milk. In place of nuts, you can also use strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, or any other type of berries.