Chickpea Ratatouille & Quinoa Recipe
An easy summer dish of French origin, Ratatouille is rich in flavor, easy to prepare and several variations are available for both preparation and serving. One such variation is the use of chickpeas rather than zucchini or eggplant that are traditionally used. The great spice combination achieved by the Chickpea Ratatouille with Quinoa recipe makes it one of my favorite recipes from Vive le Vegan (after the desserts of course).
To prepare 4 to 5 servings you need the following:
- 3 A or 4 cups cooked garbanzo beans or chickpeas
- 1 1 or 1 A cups finely chopped red onions
- A 28-oz can diced tomatoes (equivalent to 796mls). You could opt for fire-roasted, French flavored or regular tomatoes.
- 3 or 4 medium-sized garlic cloves (minced)
- A cup diced red/orange bell pepper
- 2 tablespoonfuls apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoonful freshly grated ginger
- 2 teaspoonfuls dried basil
- 2 teaspoonfuls mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoonfuls agave nectar or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoonful dried oregano
- 1 teaspoonful sea salt
- A teaspoonful rosemary
- 1/8 teaspoonful allspice
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1-2 tablespoonfuls extra virgin olive oil
- Combine all the above in a large and deep casserole dish (Leave the bay leaves) and mix properly. Once properly mixed, embed the bay leaves in the mixture.
- Cover and bake in a preheated oven (400 F or 204 C) for 30minutes. Stir again and bake until onions are tender which should take about 35 to 45 minutes. Stir once or twice during this period for even cooking.
- Meanwhile, prepare quinoa by boiling it in salted water. Drain the excess water when desired tenderness is attained.
- When ready, remove the bay leaves from the Ratatouille and serve.
You can serve the ratatouille with quinoa or opt for any other cooked grain like brown rice or wild rice. If you haven’t cooked with quinoa before, have a look on – How To Cook Delicious Quinoa.
Chickpea Ratatouille tastes better the next day and leftovers can be used to make delicious burritos. Just scoop the mixture, place it on flour tortillas, roll it up, sprinkle with cheese and bake. For even cooking, place the tortillas side by side in the baking dish.