Quinoa, tomato, and spinach salad are simple but very impressive. Every bite is so fresh and the ingredients really shine. The quinoa has a wonderful toasty flavor with subtle notes of spice and garlic while the tomatoes are sweet and acidic. The spinach then comes in to add subtle bitterness which is livened up by the acidity of the vinaigrette as well as the salty nuttiness from the freshly shaved parmesan cheese.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced and crushed with a fork
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth, reduced-sodium
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup fresh baby spinach leaves
- Freshly shaved parmesan cheese
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flake
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Rinse the quinoa under cold water and drain. Drizzle oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic along with the red pepper flake and cook until fragrant. Once cooked, add the quinoa to the pan and cook while stirring to toast and infuse it with flavor. After about 2-3 minutes, pour in the broth and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 12-15 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed and the quinoa is tender. When cooked, remove from the heat and leave covered for 5 additional minutes before spreading it out on a sheet pan to cool. Fluff with a fork.
- Make a quick lemon vinaigrette by whisking the lemon juice with some olive oil. Slowly add the oil until the dressing is just right and then season to taste with salt and black pepper. Now transfer the quinoa to a bowl along with the tomatoes, spinach, and shaved parmesan cheese. Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and toss. Taste and season with more salt and black pepper if needed.
Learn more about quinoa nutrition.