Curried quinoa and black bean salad is one tasty combination of ingredients. This salad is so exotic and really wakes up the palate. In fact, every bite commands attention. The main components of the salad are so fresh and that freshness if brought to life with spicy, smoky sweetness.
Ingredients quinoa salad
- 1-2 small sweet peppers, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 cup canned corn, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth, reduce sodium
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- Handful fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 garlic clove, minced and crushed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pour the chicken/vegetable broth in a saucepan and bring to a boil. When boiling, season the broth with a little salt and black pepper before mixing in the quinoa. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 12-15 minutes or until tender and all the liquid has absorbed. After the quinoa has had time to cook, remove from the heat and leave covered for 5 additional minutes before fluffing and cooling.
- As the quinoa is cooling, add a drizzle of olive oil to a small skillet over medium heat. Add the peppers, garlic, and onion. Sauté while stirring and toss in the corn during the last few minutes of cook time. Set aside to cool. Also, make the dressing by whisking the garlic, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, curry powder, brown sugar, and cumin together. Set the dressing aside as well.
- Once everything is cooled, transfer the quinoa to a bowl, add the beans, sautéed vegetables, and fresh basil. Gently toss, add the dressing and toss again. At this point, taste the salad, adjust seasonings if needed and serve.