If you are looking for a healthy salad then you need to try the Edamame Quinoa salad. With no cholesterol and high fiber content, this salad does your body so much good while at the same time caressing your taste buds with tantalizing flavors.
Here is a recipe with which you can make 4 servings.
What you need
- 1 1/2 cups of frozen edamame
- 2 cups quinoa
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 3/4 cup diced pineapples
- 1 red paper
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoonfuls olive oil (or 3/4 cup teaspoonful chia seeds and 2 tablespoons water)
- 2 tablespoonful red-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoonfuls chopped almonds
- 1 teaspoonful chili powder
- 1 teaspoonful coconut palm sugar
- Cook the quinoa by boiling it in salted water till tender. Allow cooling.
- Cook the frozen edamame according to instructions on the package.
- If using chia seeds, mix with water and leave to rest till the gel forms.
- In one bowl, mix quinoa, cabbage, pepper, pineapple, edamame, and almond.
- In another bowl (smaller in size) mix the olive oil (or chia gel), red wine vinegar, garlic, chili powder, and coconut palm sugar.
- Put the two mixtures together and mix them properly. Allow to chill or serve as is.
The best part about preparing this salad is how short it takes to prepare. It will only take you about 25minutes to prepare the ingredients and 5minutes cooking time.
With an option between olive oil and chia seeds in the recipe, which should you choose and why? While olive oil will give you a sweet taste, chia seeds will achieve this in a more health-friendly manner. With chia seeds, the calories you will be pumping into your body are reduced by 56 coming to about 246 from 302 calories you gain when you use oil. The fiber content with chia is, on the other hand, is less by 0.3g. Fat uptake is also decreased with the use of chia seeds from 12.2g supplied by the olive oil recipe to 2.46g supplied when chia is used. Other nutritional values remain almost the same regardless of what is used. These include 39.6g carbohydrates, 11.1g protein, 25mg sodium, 12.6g sugars, 0mg cholesterol, and 8points WW points.