Quinoa and chicken stuffed peppers is a dish you can feel good about. Bell peppers are packed with nutrients including vitamin E to promote healthy skin and beta carotene. Filling the peppers with fluffy quinoa, protein-packed chicken, and a few spices create a dish that is low in calories and full of flavor. We have all had a stuffed pepper but this recipe delivers more texture and freshness by keeping the bell pepper raw. This way you get a crisp bite with the hot, flavorful filling.
Serves 4 (1 bell pepper per serving)
- 4 yellow bell peppers
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth, reduced-sodium
- 1/4 cup finely shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Olive or vegetable oil
- Black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Season both sides of each chicken breast with salt and black pepper.
- Drizzle the bottom of a baking dish with oil.
- Place chicken into the baking dish and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the internal temperature is 165 degrees F.
- Remove from the oven and cool before cutting into cubes.
- Bring the water to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Rinse the quinoa under cold water and drain.
- Season the boiling water with salt and stir in the quinoa.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or until tender.
- Spread onto a sheet pan, fluff, and cool. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Halve each bell pepper, remove the seeds and the ribs.
- Drizzle oil into a pan and heat over medium.
- Add the onion, garlic and sauté until softened.
- Transfer the cubed chicken to the pan along with the cooked quinoa and broth.
- Add the chili powder and cumin.
- Cook for a few minutes to warm everything through.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Toss in the shredded carrots along with the fresh cilantro.
- Stuff each bell pepper half.
- Serve and eat!