Veggie quinoa pancakes are hearty, flavor-packed rounds of pan-fried goodness. The exterior is beautifully golden and crunchy while the interior remains light and fluffy. With every bite, you get crunch which is followed by a lovely combination of potatoes, green onion, garlic, cilantro, and cheese for some fat. This mixture is formed into patties, fried to perfection and you have quinoa potato pancakes to devour. In addition to serving as a breakfast item, they make a nice side dish or appetizer.
Serves 5 (2 pancakes per serving)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large potato, scrubbed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups vegetable broth, reduced-sodium
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs, unseasoned
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- A handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3-4 tablespoons finely grated cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Vegetable oil
- Black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wrap the potato in foil, place on a baking sheet, and bake until tender (you can also microwave it).
- Cool, peel, and mash with a fork. Set aside.
- Bring the vegetable broth to a boil.
- Stir in the quinoa. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender and all the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from the heat and leave to sit covered for a few minutes.
- Spread onto a sheet pan, fluff with a fork and leave to cool.
- Drizzle oil into a skillet and heat over medium.
- Sauté the garlic and green onion.
- Add in the cumin, some salt, and black pepper. Cook until the garlic softens.
- Remove from the heat and transfer to a bowl with the mashed potato and quinoa.
- Add the ricotta cheese, cheddar cheese, and cilantro. Combine.
- Stir in the egg.
- Shape the mixture into 10 even-sized patties.
- Lightly season the breadcrumbs with salt and black pepper.
- Coat each patty in panko breadcrumbs.
- Place onto a baking sheet and leave to chill for at least 10 minutes. This helps hold the pancakes together.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat and fry the patties for 2-3 minutes per side or until golden.
- Place on paper towels to drain.