Quinoa and coconut milk pudding with pomegranate is a thick, rich breakfast dish. The pudding will provide the fuel needed to get through even the most hectic of days. It is extremely filling, perfectly sweet and the addition of pomegranate arils add a fruity tartness. Aside from tasting great, this pudding contains two amazing superfoods. Quinoa is a protein-packed grain high in fiber while pomegranates deliver antioxidants, folic acid, and essential vitamins.
- 4 cups coconut milk, unsweetened
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 pomegranate
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Thoroughly rinse the quinoa under cold water and drain. The fastest way to do this is in a mesh strainer.
- Wash the pomegranate and cut it in half horizontally.
- Take one of the halves and hold it cut side down over a bowl.
- Spread your fingers a bit and use a large spoon or spatula to hit the top of the pomegranate to release the arils.
- Repeat with the other half.
- Measure about 3/4 cup and reserve the rest for snacking.
- Add the rinsed and drained quinoa to a medium pot with the coconut milk, sugar, and vanilla extract.
- Add a little salt and stir. Make sure the sugar does not collect at the bottom.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce to a simmer, partially cover so that some steam can escape and leave to cook for 25 minutes. Stir every 5-7 minutes.
- Uncover and continue to simmer for an additional 5 minutes or until thickened. At this point, the quinoa will absorb most of the liquid.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool. As it cools the pudding will thicken further.
- Spoon into serving bowls, finish with pomegranate arils and eat. For additional sweetness feel free to add maple syrup, honey, or agave.