Who needs meat when you can have quinoa and black bean burgers? They are super meaty (minus the meat), they taste really fresh and the crisp texture is everything you want and more. The main ingredients and lovely textures are enough to keep the taste buds happy but enhancing the nuttiness of the quinoa and creaminess of the black beans with onion, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, and coriander combine to create burgers you will never forget.
- 5-6 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup vegetable broth, reduced-sodium
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
- 8 hamburger buns
- Various toppings including lettuce, sliced tomato, sliced onion, and pickles
- Bring the vegetable broth to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Stir in the quinoa along with some salt and black pepper.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the quinoa is tender and all the liquid has absorbed.
- Remove from the heat and leave covered for 5-7 more minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and cool.
- Drizzle a little oil into a skillet and heat over medium.
- Sauté the garlic, onion, and sun-dried tomatoes until onion is softened.
- Add half of the black beans along with the cumin, chili powder, and coriander. Stir.
- Pour in the water and leave to simmer for 10 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Transfer this mixture to a blender or food processor with half of the cooked quinoa. Run until smooth.
- Pour the puree into a bowl.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Add the remaining quinoa and black beans to the puree.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Shape the quinoa and black bean mixture into 8 patties.
- Place onto the baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until crisp.
- Flip and bake for an additional 10-12 minutes.
- Serve on buns with any toppings you like.