Quinoa Stuffed Butternut Squash
Quinoa stuffed butternut squash is a nutritious and hearty dish. Quinoa with tender squash, mushrooms, and onion combine to create one outstanding dish. The stuffed squash is buttery, earthy, subtly sweet and the addition of nutmeg draws out all the wonderful flavors while parmesan cheese adds the perfect touch of salt.
- 2 butternut squash
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken, beef or vegetable broth, reduced-sodium
- 2 cups quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut each squash in half. Remove and discard the seeds.
- Place the squash halves in a baking dish cut side up.
- Season with nutmeg, salt, and black pepper.
- Drizzle with olive oil and pour a little water on the bottom of the dish to steam the squash.
- Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes or until tender.
- Bring the broth to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add the quinoa, stir and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from the heat and leave covered for a few minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and leave to cool. Set aside.
- Remove the squash from the oven when fork-tender. Set aside to cool.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F.
- Drizzle oil in a skillet and heat over medium.
- Sauté the mushrooms and onion. Add the garlic when mushrooms are tender and onions are translucent.
- Remove from the heat.
- Scoop out some of the squash and transfer to a bowl leaving a solid layer of flesh intact.
- Add the quinoa, sautéed mushrooms, onion, garlic, and cheese.
- Mix and season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Spoon into the squash halves.
- Return to the oven and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until golden brown.