One of the easiest ways to make a healthy meal minus the effort is with a slow cooker. Slow cookers allow you to add all your ingredients into a cooking vessel, set it, forget it and go about your day. This slow cooker quinoa stew is loaded with vegetables and amazing flavors. In addition to quinoa, this very memorable stew has spinach, cauliflower, carrots, sweet potato, mushrooms, and dried herbs. Because of that variety, you get different layers of flavors with every bite. You get delightful vegetal notes, earthiness, subtle notes of sweetness and so much more. The key to slow cooking is sautéing your ingredients prior to transferring them to the slow cooker. Sautéing them builds color and color enhances any product whether it is a vegetable, grain or protein.
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth, reduced-sodium
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- 2 cups cauliflower
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Vegetable oil
- Rinse and drain the quinoa.
- Drizzle a little oil in a skillet and toast the quinoa over medium-high heat to enhance the nutty taste of the grain.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté the onion and garlic until fragrant.
- Add the cauliflower, carrots, sweet potato and mushrooms. Sauté for 5-7 minutes or until the vegetables start to cook down and develop color.
- Transfer this to a slow cooker with the broth, oregano, thyme, lemon juice, salt, and black pepper. Stir.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours.
- Add the spinach and serve.
We have a lot of recipes with quinoa. We encourage you to familiarize yourself with our recipes. I guarantee that you’ll love them. Share with friends.