Parfaits are always delicious and healthy. You get a little bit of everything, a variety of consistencies and so much flavor. Greek yogurt is thick and rich, the oats are delightfully toasty, the apples are tender cinnamon packed slices of goodness and the quinoa ties all those elements together to give the parfait good balance.
Makes 4 parfaits
- 2 cups vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 2/3 cup red quinoa, rinsed and drained
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 3-4 tablespoons vegetable or coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice (you can also use apple cider)
- 1-2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Bring the water to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add the quinoa and reduce to a simmer.
- Cover and cook for 12-15 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Leave covered to steam for 3-5 additional minutes.
- Stir in the cinnamon and salt.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Pour the oats onto a baking sheet.
- Toss with the oil, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- Spread in an even layer and bake for 7-10 minutes.
- Combine all the ingredients for the apples in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low.
- Cover and cook until the apples are tender. The liquid should also be thick.
- Cool and pop in the fridge until ready to use.
- Assemble the parfaits by layering Greek yogurt followed by the oats, apples, quinoa and a little more yogurt and oats for garnish.
If you want to read more about nutrition value, visit our additional resources: quinoa nutrition.