Quinoa with Asparagus and Tomatoes Recipe
If you’re in search of a light and bright side with good texture and a lot of nutrients, look no further. Quinoa with asparagus and tomatoes is a delicious side that pairs well with a number of main courses including chicken, turkey, and fish. Tender quinoa with juicy bursts of tomato and crisp bites of raw asparagus seasoned lightly to allow the ingredients to shine is outstanding and the leftovers make a tasty lunch the next day. Here’s how to make this side.
- 1 lb. grape tomatoes halved
- 1 lb. asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth, reduced-sodium
- 2 cups quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Shredded parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Bring the vegetable broth to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Pour in the quinoa.
- Add a little salt and black pepper for additional flavor.
- Stir and reduce to a simmer.
- Cover and cook for about 20-25 minutes or until tender and the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from the heat and leave covered to steam for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a large serving bowl and gently fluff with a fork.
- Add a tablespoon of oil to a pan.
- Heat over medium.
- Add the tomatoes and asparagus.
- Sauté for a few minutes before adding the garlic.
- Continue cooking for 2 more minutes while stirring or until the garlic has softened. The asparagus will still have some bite and the tomatoes should start to break down a bit.
- Spoon the tomatoes and asparagus over the quinoa with the garlic.
- Toss everything together.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper before serving.
Enjoy your meal!