Quinoa, Mushroom and Tomato Bowl with Eggs
A quinoa, mushroom and tomato bowl with eggs is very filling. Tender quinoa with meaty mushrooms stewed in tomato sauce is awesome and enhancing that with more tomatoes, garlic, Thai red chilies, red pepper flakes, basil, and parsley creates an unforgettable meal. You get hearty bites with a little spice and all this is topped with perfectly cooked eggs. You break the yolks, allow them to meld with the sauce and the only thing left to do is dig in!
- 8 button mushrooms, sliced
- 3-4 plum tomatoes, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Thai red chilies
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cups water or chicken/vegetable broth
- 2 cups quinoa
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2/1 teaspoons dried basil
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the mushrooms, tomatoes, garlic, red chilies, and onion.
- Sauté for a few minutes while stirring until fragrant.
- Add the quinoa and stir to coat it with all the great flavors.
- Pour in the tomato sauce as well as the red pepper flakes, cumin, and basil.
- Season with salt and black pepper. Stir.
- Pour in the water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cover.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed. Stir occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Transfer the quinoa and vegetables to oven-safe skillets or ramekins.
- Crack eggs over the quinoa. You want 1-2 eggs per serving.
- Add a little salt and black pepper before placing it into the oven.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes or until the egg is cooked to your liking.
- Remove from the oven and serve.