Shrimp and Scallop Quinoa Salad Recipe
Quinoa and seafood are a lovely pairing. Shrimp and quinoa salad is delicious but adding scallops, one of the tastiest foods from the sea, makes it irresistible. Fluffy quinoa with pan-seared scallops that have the great crust you only achieve on a stovetop with plump shrimp makes a beautiful plate. Broccoli and peas add to that beauty and the salad is complete.
- 8-10 scallops
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1/2 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup fresh peas
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Black pepper
- Rinse and drain the quinoa to remove the saponin.
- Drizzle a tablespoon olive oil into a saucepan and sauté the garlic until softened and fragrant.
- Pour in the chicken or vegetable broth and bring it to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add the quinoa and stir.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender and all the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from the heat and leave covered for a few minutes.
- Transfer to a salad bowl and fluff with a fork. Set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil for the shrimp and prepare an ice bath.
- Remove the side muscles of the scallops if intact. Just pinch, pull away and discard.
- Pat the scallops dry and season both sides with salt and black pepper.
- Melt butter in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Place scallops in the pan in an even layer.
- Cook for 2 minutes undisturbed and flip.
- Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes or until opaque and firm to the touch.
- Toss the shrimp into the boiling water.
- Cook until bright pink and opaque.
- Transfer to an ice bath to stop the cooking process.
- Using the pan used to cook the scallops, heat a tablespoon of oil over medium-high. Add the broccoli and lightly sauté until softened a bit.
- Add the broccoli and peas to the bowl of quinoa.
- Dress with lemon juice and olive oil.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Top with seafood.
- Serve and eat.