Quinoa and seafood are a lovely pairing. Shrimp and quinoa salad is delicious but adding scallops, one of the tastiest foods from the sea, makes it irresistible. Fluffy quinoa with pan seared scallops that have the great crust you only achieve on a stovetop with plump shrimp makes a beautiful plate. Broccoli and peas add to that beauty and the salad is complete.
- 8-10 scallops
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1/2 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup fresh peas
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Black pepper
- Rinse and drain the quinoa to remove the saponin.
- Drizzle a tablespoon olive oil into a saucepan and sauté the garlic until softened and fragrant.
- Pour in the chicken or vegetable broth and bring it to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add the quinoa and stir.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender and all the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from the heat and leave covered for a few minutes.
- Transfer to a salad bowl and fluff with a fork. Set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil for the shrimp and prepare an ice bath.
- Remove the side muscles of the scallops if intact. Just pinch, pull away and discard.
- Pat the scallops dry and season both sides with salt and black pepper.
- Melt butter in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Place scallops in the pan in an even layer.
- Cook for 2 minutes undisturbed and flip.
- Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes or until opaque and firm to the touch.
- Toss the shrimp into the boiling water.
- Cook until bright pink and opaque.
- Transfer to an ice bath to stop the cooking process.
- Using the pan used to cook the scallops, heat a tablespoon of oil over medium-high. Add the broccoli and lightly sauté until softened a bit.
- Add the broccoli and peas to the bowl of quinoa.
- Dress with lemon juice and olive oil.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Top with seafood.
- Serve and eat.