Recipe for Seafood: Quinoa with Mussels
Combine quinoa with mussels and you have a paella inspired dish sure to excite the palate. It also has some bulk so you will certainly not be hungry. The quinoa is actually combined with potatoes and seasoned with the mild-flavored marjoram. This is then topped with mussels that offer an ethereal ocean flavor as well as their light, almost fluffy texture.
- 2 lbs. mussels
- 1 handful of grape or cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1/1 potato, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cups water, divided
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil and lightly salt.
- Add the potato to the hot water and boil until fork-tender.
- Toss the onion into the pan with the oil and sauté until softened and fragrant. Stir to prevent burning.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for a few additional minutes. The tomatoes will start to break down.
- Add the quinoa, marjoram, 1 cup of water, some salt and black pepper.
- Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and cook for 12-15 minutes. Quinoa should be tender.
- Remove from the heat and set aside. Stir in the butter and fluff with a fork.
- Remove the beaks from the mussels and discard them. Also, discard any with cracked shells.
- Pour the remaining 1 cup of water into a pan and bring to a boil.
- Arrange the mussels in an even layer.
- Allow to steam until they open. Discard any mussels that do not open.
- Combine the quinoa with the potatoes. Season to taste.
- Plate and top with mussels. You can also remove the mussels from their shells and toss a few into the quinoa with a little mussel broth.