Quinoa, Beet and Chickpea Sliders
If you are looking for a vegetarian slider recipe that is sure to please, look no further. These vibrant-hued beets and chickpea sliders are nothing less than excellent. The flavors are spot on, the color is stunningly beautiful and every bite has the meatiness of a good burger minus the meat. What more can you ask for?
Makes 6-8 sliders
- 6-8 slider buns
- 2 small red beets
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 egg
- 1/1 onion, finely diced
- 1/2 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 1/4 cup quick oats
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Juice of half a lemon
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
- Condiments and toppings like lettuce, mayo, sliced onion, tomato, etc.
- Rinse the quinoa under cold water and drain
- Bring the vegetable broth to a boil.
- Lightly salt the broth, add some pepper and pour in the quinoa.
- Stir and reduce to a simmer.
- Cover and cook for 10-12 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from the heat and leave covered for a few minutes to steam before fluffing with a fork.
- Peel the beets and grate.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a pan over medium.
- Add the diced onion when the oil is hot.
- When onions are soft and fragrant, add the garlic and grated beets.
- Season with some salt and stir.
- Cook while stirring for 5-7 minutes or until the beets are tender.
- Deglaze with the lemon juice and scrape the flavor bits from the pan.
- Transfer the quinoa to a large bowl along with the beet and veggie mix.
- Add the chickpeas to the bowl as well.
- Mash with a potato masher until a slightly chunky texture is achieved.
- Mix in the egg, oats, parsley and lemon zest.
- Form 6-8 slider patties. Season with salt and black pepper on both sides.
- Coat the bottom of a pan with olive oil. Heat over medium.
- Cook the patties for 2-3 minutes per side until golden.
- Assemble the sliders with any condiments and toppings you like.