Quinoa bowls are awesome because they are basically bowls of nutrients that happen to taste delicious! The basil, bell pepper, and tomato quinoa bowl are no different. It covers essential macronutrients and micronutrients, has great texture, and the fresh flavors of every ingredient meld beautifully with the others yielding a bowl with layers of flavor. These layers include pungent garlic, the bold bite of red onion, acidity from the tomato, the nuttiness of argan oil, and basil’s signature sweetness. In addition to delivering in the flavor department, the bowl is appealing to the eye. All the color makes you want to dig in.
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup vegetable broth, reduced-sodium
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 chopped bell pepper
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons food grade/culinary argan oil
- Juice of one lemon
- A handful of fresh basil, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Add the oil to a skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté the garlic in the oil for about 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Transfer the quinoa to the skillet and toast for a few minutes. Make sure the quinoa gets coated in that delicious garlic-infused oil.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and increase the heat to medium-high.
- Bring to a boil, add salt, black pepper and reduce to a simmer.
- Cover and leave to simmer for about 10-12 minutes or until the quinoa is tender and all the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from the heat and set aside for a few minutes. Leave covered.
- Gently fluff the seeds with a fork.
- Add the bell pepper, red onion, tomato, lemon juice, and basil.
- Mix everything together.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Serve. Feel free to finish each serving with a drizzle of argan oil.