Nothing gets better than a quinoa and kale salad bowl. The two main ingredients are very delicious and do so much good for the body. A mere 1 cup of quinoa delivers 8 grams of protein, 5 grams of fiber and a small amount of omega 3 fatty acids in addition to an array of vitamins and minerals. Kale, on the other hand, is one valuable leafy green. It is high in fiber, has no fat and is loaded with nutrients including vitamins A, C, K, and B6. The kale and quinoa can stand on their own but they’re combined with edamame, raisins, and almonds to take the bowls up a few notches.
- 5 cups kale, rinsed well
- 1 cup vegetable broth, reduced sodium
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cooked edamame
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon honey or agave
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Remove the stems from the kale and discard.
- Roughly chop the kale and set aside.
- Bring the vegetable broth to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Pour in the quinoa and stir. Sprinkle with a little salt and black pepper.
- Reduce to a simmer and cover.
- Cook for 12-15 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove the quinoa from the heat and leave covered for a few minutes before cooling and fluffing with a fork.
- Toast the almonds in a pan over medium. Stir as they toast to prevent burning.
- Remove the almonds from the pan and add a tablespoon of oil.
- Sauté the garlic until just fragrant before adding in the diced red bell pepper.
- Cook while stirring until the bell pepper has softened.
- Add the edamame and lentils.
- Cook while stirring for a few additional minutes. You just want to warm everything through and meld the flavors.
- Whisk the lemon juice and honey/agave together with about 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Transfer the cooled quinoa to a salad bowl with the kale, almonds, garlic, bell peppers, edamame, lentils, and raisins.
- Add the dressing.
- Toss everything together. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.