A blueberry and banana quinoa bowl is a warm, hearty and comforting breakfast. What can get better than nutty quinoa cooked in a combination of almond and coconut milk topped with fresh blueberries and banana slices? The bowl is perfectly sweet, spices flawlessly compliment the toastiness of the seeds, a touch of cocoa is added for decadence and it is finished with a touch of maple syrup because it isn’t breakfasting without maple syrup. Check out how to make the bowl below.
- 2 handfuls fresh blueberries or as much as desired
- 1 banana, thinly sliced
- 1 cup tri-colored quinoa
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1 cup vanilla almond milk
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Real maple syrup, to taste
- Pinch of salt
- Chopped walnuts, for garnish
- Rinse and drain the quinoa. Rinse well to remove the saponin or bitter outer coating.
- Pour the coconut milk and almond milk into a saucepan. Stir well.
- Bring to a boil and add the quinoa, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Stir.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 12-15 minutes or until the seeds are tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cocoa powder as well as the vanilla extract.
- Cover and leave to sit for a few minutes. This will intensify the flavor.
- Gently fluff the quinoa with a fork.
- Ladle into bowls and drizzle with maple syrup.
- Top with sliced banana and blueberries.
- Add more almond milk if desired. Some like a thinner consistency while others prefer a thicker consistency.
- Garnish with chopped walnuts.
- Serve and enjoy. Feel free to dust each serving with cocoa powder if you really like chocolate.
Learn more about the nutritional value of grains quinoa -> Click link.