Grilled Carrots and Pumpkin Over Quinoa
Pumpkin and carrots go great together. They both have a vegetal sweetness and meld nicely in both sweet and savory dishes. Grilling draws out their natural sugars and they develop a complex flavor. The two alone are outstanding but adding nutty quinoa to the mix makes a very filling plate that you’ll want to eat again and again.
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth, reduced-sodium
- 1 cup seeds of quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2-3 carrots, peeled and cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 small pumpkin, peeled, seeded and cut into half rounds
- Toasted pumpkin seeds, for garnish
- Juice of half a lemon
- Olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Fresh basil leaves, for garnish
- Lightly drizzle the carrots and pumpkin with olive oil.
- Sprinkle both sides with salt and black pepper.
- Lightly brush the grates of your grill or a grill pan with olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Heat over medium-high.
- Grill carrots and pumpkin for about 7 minutes per side or until tender with nice grill marks.
- Bring the chicken or vegetable broth to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Pour in the quinoa.
- Add some salt and black pepper.
- Stir and reduce to a simmer.
- Cover and cook for 12-15 minutes or until tender and all the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from the heat and leave covered for a few minutes.
- Uncover and fluff with a fork. Leave to cool.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Combine the lemon juice with 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil in a small bowl.
- Whisk and season with a bit of salt.
- Pour the dressing over the quinoa and toss to coat.
- Transfer to a serving platter or individual serving plates.
- Top with grilled carrots and pumpkin.
- Finish with pumpkin seeds and garnish with basil.
See more quinoa recipes.
Learn more about preparing grains of quinoa.