Quinoa is a great ingredient to include in granola. It develops good texture when toasted and its naturally nutty taste is drawn out with heat. That nuttiness combined with oats, bran, seeds and a sweet mix of honey/maple syrup, coconut oil, and vanilla extract creates sweet and crunchy granola you will want to snack on all day.
Yields 10-12 servings
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup oat bran
- 1 cup roughly chopped almonds
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup golden quinoa
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup honey or real maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
Directions breakfast step by step
- Toast the quinoa in a dry skillet over medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until toasty and begins to pop like corn kernels. Stir to prevent burning.
- Pour the quinoa into a large bowl.
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Add the oats to the bowl with the quinoa as well as the oat bran, almonds, coconut, sunflower seeds, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Fold the dry ingredients together with a spatula.
- Combine the honey/maple syrup in a saucepan with both oils.
- Heat over low. Do not allow the mixture to simmer.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the hot mixture over the dry ingredients.
- Use a spatula to mix until everything is evenly coated.
- Separate the mixture in half and spread in an even layer on both lined baking sheets.
- Place into the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden and toasty.
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool..
- Break up the granola, serve as desired and store any remaining granola.